The Last train

The last train leaves the station.
I remember hearing
that sound
as a child lying in bed
knowing
that others were downstairs,
grown ups,
my parents,
people who knew what to do,
who would always make
sure I was safe.

Now I lie
and hear that same noise
every night.

I am the one
who is the grown up
the one that keeps
others safe,
but yet
I still feel safe
as the noise
travels
down from
the tracks.

Is it the sense of
one greater
than me,
beyond me?
Who knows me and
loves me
as he did when I
first heard
the train
leaving for its
last journey?




Comments

  1. Thanks Fiona, it had been on my mind for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen. Love this too. The journeys on those different levels and the echoes of past, present and the supernatural element. Great poem.

    If you are interested can I suggest this website which is for sharing poetry and reading others-it's an online community that I'm part of and you can link poems you write into it. http://dversepoets.com/2013/02/05/openlinknight-week-82/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment