Fragility

I watch them 

while I am cleaning the oven tray that so recently held a larger version of them.

I watch them 

while they wait in the hedge for their turn to eat.

Sometimes they get impatient and jump the queue. 

In a flapping frenzy they manage to secure the coveted position on the feeder.

I watch them

as they fly across the garden they often include an apparantly unneccesary dip or soar.

They like flying. It is fun. 

I watch them 

as they bathe. 

They duck, emerge, and shake. 

Revelling as the water droplets cascade off their feathers.  

They like bathing. It is fun. 

I watch them.

I have power. I could remove their food. Poison their water. Cut down their food queue. 

He was right. Watching them makes a difference. It changes me.

I know my position and my responsibilities. 

Please watch them. 


Comments