A bath and a font.

At Gillian and Ian's house last night in Inverness, I had an emotional flashback to my own children's childhood. Their son, Callum, had just had his night time bath and the bathtub still had his toys strewn across it. A powerful memory of days gone by.

Today in Hilton Church water was being used for a very different purpose; to baptise Callum. As a congregation we were reminded of the everyday and essential nature of water. With this common element a sacrament of baptism took place; taking us beyond our ordinariness and the everyday things of life to God who was born, lived, died, rose again, and ascended for Callum and for each of us.

The bath tub reminded me of my children who have grown, the baptismal font reminded me of the God who walks with us through all the days of our lives.

Jen

Comments