I like to talk, to text, to laugh, to discuss, to play games, watch telly - these are all good things, but I've been thinking recently that maybe I need a bit more space in my life; space to think, to wonder, to listen, to consider.

At church on Saturday we had a prayer conference. I went with a heavy heart. I imagined sitting in a circle looking at my feet, trying to find the right words, long silences, my mind wondering onto what to cook for dinner. William, our minister, had something else in mind.

The morning was an oasis in the midst of a busy world. Space was given to meet with God. I read a book, painted a picture, read the newspapers and reflected on the 20th Anniversary of the collapse of the Berlin Wall. A wall that took 14 years to build but only days to be pulled down. An incredible reminder of another few days on a hill and in a garden near Jerusalem.

There is something special about quietness and stillness - it is a place where God can remind us of what is really important in life; loving justice and mercy, and walking with Him.When did you last paint a picture, sit round a bonfire, look at the stars. It is in these spaces that we can intentionally be aware of God and what He wants for our lives, His priorities often seem very different from mine.

The privilege of welcoming and nurturing young people within our church communities demands that we make this time and space.I am going to give it a try, I've left my fields in farmville with no crops just now - so that might help! I hope this blogging will to...

Jen

Comments

  1. Hi Jen
    Im so glad you started a blog,now I can still enjoy the wisdom and randoms of Jen although I don't see you so often!Miss you, catch up soon!
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment